Eight Dimensions of Wellness
Wellness is being in good physical and mental health. Improving your physical health can improve your mental health and vice versa. Similarly, problems in one area can impact the other. It is critical to make healthy choices for both your mind and body to achieve wellness.
Making the Eight Dimensions of Wellness part of daily life can improve mental and physical health for individuals with mental health and/or substance use disorders.
The Eight Dimensions of Wellness are:
A positive self-concept, which includes dealing with feelings constructively and developing positive qualities such as optimism, trust, self-confidence, and determination.
- Listen to your feelings
- Express them to those you trust
- Maintain a positive outlook
Good health by occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being.
- A positive environment has a calming effect
- Find surroundings that encourage good physical and mental health
- Take the steps to feel safe in your environment
Satisfaction with current and future financial situations.
- Make it a point to understand your finances
- Establish good financial habits
- Plan for the future
Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills.
- Be a lifelong learner by expanding knowledge
- Find creative outlets that stimulate you
- Be open to new ideas, insights, and wisdom
Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work.
- Look for satisfaction from things you’re passionate about
- Consider volunteer work
Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep.
- Reduce risk of illness by increasing activity levels according to your abilities
- Ensure you get a well-rested night of sleep
- Choose healthy foods
- Explore the outdoors
Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system.
- A sense of belonging and a reliable support system to help during difficult times
- Make at least one social connection daily
- Do not hesitate to seek advice from peers and support groups
- Create healthy friendships
Expanding a sense of purpose and meaning in life.
- Enhancing connection to self, nature, and others brings balance and peace to your life
- Take time to discover what values are most important to you
The following strategies are some practical ways to start developing healthy habits that can lead to positive impact on physical and mental health.
Follow a Healthy Lifestyle
- Don’t smoke or use addictive substances
- Limit alcohol intake
- Eat healthy foods and exercise regularly
- Monitor your weight, blood pressure, sleep patterns, and other important health indicators including oral and vision health
Work with a Primary Care Doctor
- Communication between people with mental health problems, mental health professionals, and primary care providers is essential to maintaining a positive balance
- See a primary care physician regularly
- Know about medications or alternative treatments
- Review and act on results of check-ups and health screenings
- Monitor existing and/or new symptoms
- Speak up about any concerns or doubts
Wellness can be challenging and somewhat overwhelming at times. Striving to make small daily improvements is the key to amplifying success. Embracing wellness is about life and living, and becoming the healthiest version of you..